Friday, February 29, 2008

The advantages of Firefox Browser Extensions

The Original article can be read atSquidoo

Browsing the web has come a long ways over the years, and though the internet has grown in size and intricacy, it is still possible to quickly and easily do what you need to do. Firefox has many handy features and is extremely customizable. I attribute this to it being open source, meaning that anyone can program for it. This is a stark contrast to Microsoft products, who do not share their code. The open source approach encourages individuals to program, instead of only larger companies. Less barriers to entry; more applications! Not only is this shown in the extensions, but also themes, which are showcased in a free gallery. With lots of customization, its reputation for being stable, and pioneering in the world of 'tabbed' browsing, I highly recommend it.


Download Statusbar

The default setting when downloading any type of file is to pop up a new window and show you the progress. I find this to be obtrusive, and I hate windows popping up while browsing! It is easy to turn this off, but then I can't see how fast my dl's are going, if they are done, and I lose the ability to easily launch them when they are complete. Download Statusbar will pop up on a thin srip of the bottom of your screen, showing the file name and progress, as well as allowing the opening of files with a double click. It is also easily closed.


Adblock

This is a very handy extension that will not display ads, so as to reduce clutter when browsing the web. It works by maintaining a list of pesky ad sites, and telling Firefox not to render them. The free version of this program does not auto-update though, and the 'bad' list will have to be manually appended every so often, to keep with newer ads. For a great filter list and instructions on how to install click Here!


Google Browser Sync

This is by far my most prized extension! I have a laptop I take everywhere, and a big ole desktop that doesnt so much like to travel. However, when I have GBS installed, my Firefox settings are always synchronized. This means that the browsing experiencing on my PC and laptop are indistinguishable. If I have ten tabs open at the end of my class, and turn of my computer, as soon as I turn on my PC at home, I pick up just where I left off! not only that, but all my log ons and passwords are saved, as well as my web history. Though this does not synchronize extensions, it is still very handy. (It does require a Google account, but everyone should have one of those!)

Those are 3 of my most basic extensions. I have many more advanced ones I love, and if there is enough interest maybe I'll go into more depth! Please comment with any questions!

No comments: